Sunday, May 22, 2016

I Don't Have Time To Make Breakfast Overnight Oats

Are you just too busy in the morning to make breakfast? Have to get to work super early? Or just not a morning person?  I hear you.  When I have to be at work EARLY in the morning (like before I even really want to be out of bed), I rely on this overnight oat recipe for breakfast.  All the goodness of oatmeal, in a convenient to-go container, that basically "cooks" itself.   Since we are talking about being too busy to make breakfast, you probably don't have a lot of time to read a long post either.  So, let's skip the chatter and get right to it.

Here is what we are making:



What You Need:

1/2 cup oatmeal (I use thick cut rolled oats. Sorry, steel cut oats won't work here)
1 tablespoon chia seeds*
3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk
1-2 tablespoons nut butter (almond butter used here)
2 teaspoons nuts or seeds (pepitas used here)
2 teaspoons dried or fresh fruit** (dried cherries used here)

*Optional, but helps absorb any left over liquid, gives it a nice texture, and adds some fiber, protein, and healthy fats. Ground flax seed could be substituted here.
**add fresh fruits in the morning just before eating

Mix all of the ingredients together in container that has a lid (mason jars work well for this), shake it up, then pop it in the fridge.  The oats and chia seeds will absorb the milk while you sleep.  In the morning grab your mason jar and a spoon, breakfast is ready!  

Other combos that I love:
1. Raisins, peanut butter, and cinnamon
2. nutmeg and fresh bananas
3. dried blueberries, lemon zest (added in the morning), and almonds
4. peanut butter and jelly
5. honey, cinnamon, and fresh apples

Really anything works, use whatever you like!

OK, time for me to get a batch ready for tomorrow morning.  I hope you give this recipe a try.  Feel free to leave your favorite combos in the comments.

Happy eating and best health,

Dr. G


PS.  I am finishing my last busy month of residency in about a week, so I am hoping to really increase my posting frequency soon.  In the meantime follow me on Instagram for almost daily posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment